Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 18-20 Not Mesa


Sorry, but this is a bit of a diversion from the Mesa document. Blame summer if you will. But I'm thinking perhaps a little travel can lend some perspective when it comes to ones hometown. And this past weekend we were in Winslow.Any time I'm feeling like Mesa is a dull place to be, all I will have to do is remember what it was like to wander around poor ol' Winslow. From what I could tell it has exactly two things going for it: The "Standin' on the Corner" dude and the La Posada hotel. Otherwise we're talking town with no movie theater and that's kind of sad. Mesa, on the other hand, has lots of movie theaters, a nice arts center, some interesting shops and even a few restaurants of note. I can't wait to get back to taking some photos of the place.

Meantime, here are a few shots of Winslow, the La Posada and even the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert for good measure.









A beautiful garden at La Posada







One thing Mesa shares with northeast Arizona is that sky. We have an amazing sky.

So Long from Mesa (just back from Winslow)


3 comments:

Norm said...

Naturally, I'm reminded of the Eagles' song, "I'm standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona..."

Alan Hutcheson said...

And if you were on that corner in Winslow you would be reminded of it over and over and over. On two of the other corners of that intersection are gift shops that sell Eagles and Route 66 stuff and both of them play nothing but Eagles music inside. If I worked there I would go insane.

Lexi said...

Poor Winslow! That For Sale theatre, with its antiquated sign, says it all. I want to give it a hug.