Monday, May 10, 2010

May 10, Main Street between Alma School and Extension


Back to Main Street. This afternoon I strolled a stretch of Main just a bit west of downtown and not that far from Mesa's western border, where Mesa's Main Street turns into Tempe's Apache Blvd. This bit of Main is devoted very much to Things Mobile, whether it be shops with lots of chrome wheels on display outside or small auto dealerships (and one that used to be not-so-small) or mobile home parks. Also some apartment complexes, a few restaurants (past, present and future), and a rather large party store.

Here you go, in no particular order.

This building for many years housed a Bob's Big Boy restaurant. This was a favorite of our family when my sister and I were kids. Feed a family of four for about ten dollars.


Get your news and your Real Mexican Food at Adrian's.



The Landmark Restaurant is located in a historic building on the corner of Main and Extension. It was one of my father's favorite spots later in his life (after my sister and I had grown up, moved out and had kids of our own). We had quite a few celebration dinners there.








Darner's has been a Mesa fixture for decades. Unfortunately they lost their Chrysler franchise recently and the place is looking a bit underpopulated lately, More even that other car lots.



Former location of Mesa Audio (I'm pretty sure that's what it was called. I bought most of my stereo equipment there in my younger days. Still have a nice set of speakers from there. The place was owned by a couple who for a while were neighbors of ours. Until they moved to a more expensive part of town, that is.


This mobile home park has every amenity. Shuffleboard, mail delivery and trash pickup all in one convenient location.

Fracture Fiberglass

Épernay is a commune in the Marne department in northern France (according to Wikipedia). It is also an apartment complex in Mesa. According to me.









So long from Mesa. See you next time!

No comments: