Tuesday, April 20, 2010

April 20, Horne between McKellips and Lehi


I had to go to the grocery store, which is just down the street from Lehi, one of the oldest neighborhoods in Mesa and definitely one with its own independent spirit. There are other areas in Lehi I want to explore, but today was just a stroll along Horne between McKellips and Lehi. 

















I got woofed at a fair amount as I walked. Pedestrians are a rare species in most parts of Mesa, worthy of notice and comment.
















The reason I stopped to take a photo was because of the juxtaposition of an American flag in front of a fire station and a microwave tower. But then I heard some sounds coming from the back of the station. Through the window you could see some firemen playing basketball, the sound of the ball clanging off the rim every couple of seconds. It was tough with the slow shutter response on my camera to get a shot that conveyed what was going on, so I had to stand there for a while and keep clicking. I didn't even know how they came out until I got home and saw that the last one was the next photo, essentially me being spotted by the firemen. But I was already on my way, heading towards McKellips and the Walmart.


So, it was a pleasant surprise when, as I was walking back north towards my car, Trevor greeted me from across the street. Pretty obvious he wanted to know what the hell I was doing, but he was polite about it and I explained what I was doing and we talked about the weather and the fact that he has just lived in Mesa for three years and he even invited me in to check out the firetruck. He took a photo of me, which I won't subject you to, and very nicely allowed me to take this shot of him.

Anyway, I think I will make up some cards to hand out that will help explain what I am doing. Heck, I'd wonder about some doof wandering around my neighborhood taking pictures. Maybe I need a calling card.


Have a great day and so long from Mesa, Arizona

No comments: